Spring Training started to get exciting just as both of us got caught up in work and school. That’s how the world works, right? Anyways, here’s few quick comments and some links before things kick off again in today’s game against the Rockies at 12:10.
- If you’re reading this blog you’re probably fully aware of the Barry Zito fiasco created by Bruce Jenkins. Responses have been posted by Bay Area Sports Guy, McCovey Chronicles, Golden Gate Giants, The Crazy Crabbers, SF Giants Report, Obssesive Giants Compulsive, and Splashing Pumpkins. Everything worth saying has been said, so you won’t see a full length post on this from us. In short, cutting Barry Zito is a terrible, awful, horrible, stupid, very bad idea. The orginal article that started all this was flat out absurd. Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy both made their comments to the media yesterday and they can be found in Andrew Baggarly’s article here. From Bochy: “Believe me, there’s been no conversation about anywhere near what the article was about. That goes for Brian Sabean, myself, the staff, everybody.” Bagg’s original blog post featuring Zito’s reaction is here.
- Matt Cain says don’t panic. We’re panicking anyways, to be honest. Yes, its only Spring Training. Yes, its only March 3rd. Yes, the MRI said there was no structural damage. But the words MRI, Cain, elbow, and inflammation occurring in the same sentence is still a little scary. Matty is missing his start today (Vogelsong is taking his place) and will likely miss his next start as well.
- On a happier note, the minor leaguers are reporting to camp today! All the kids on Twitter seem to be pretty happy about it. We definitely are. It’ll be good to see the prospects around.
- Also, its Justin Fitzgerald’s birthday! Busy day for him, yeah? If you’re on Twitter, go wish him a happy birthday. Or sing. Singing is good.
- Splashing Pumpkins has an interesting post up on O-swing% and Walks.
- 24 Days of Magic scored an interview with Brandon Crawford. We’re cheering hard for him over here, so go check it out. He’s been a Giants fan all his life, and that always makes a good story. This is also how he ended up as a member of Eric Surkamp’s fan club. Everyone say “awww”.
I’m sure more has happened that I’m not remembering, but its been a few days. Just make sure you’re keeping up with Baggs, Schulman, and all the rest. We’ll back later with thoughts on the game, excitement over Brandon Belt, and more worry about Matt Cain.
Quick Update: Brian Wilson just finished a bullpen session. Baggs and Schulman are both reporting via Twitter that he looked good. Exchange between Huff and Wilson: “Huff swings thru fastball. “You’re late,” Wilson remarks helpfully.”